Saturday, February 14

The Shack

I finished reading The Shack this week, it was a quick read (which for me is about 3 weeks). I enjoyed it, it gave me smiles, tears, and caused me to think alot.

I realized about myself that I get really edgy (not the right word, but I can't think of something else to fit my state) when people give an ultimate critique to something. What I mean by this is when someone says "it was awful" or "it was the best book ever".... tell me something ABOUT it!

I think it can be an ignorant stance to say something like that. Ok, that was harsh. I guess what I'm feeling is that after leaving the educational institution of Azusa Pacific University, I am no longer surrounded by sponges. I guess what I mean is I am no longer surrounded by people soaking up information, critiquing it with intelligence, and having and informed discussing about what they can take from a book, music, historical event, or experience. Sometimes I feel that people also forget that college taught them how to intellectually critique something, and that makes my heart ache. I can't explain it, but I actually experience a physical ache in my core (I say "core" due to lack of specific location, its not my heart, its not my stomach...) when I have a discussion with someone who was educated well and is making ignorant comments or decisions.

Let me tell you a little bit about where school put me....

at a graduation (I believe in 2005) at APU, John Wallace, our president, described APU as an institution that "chews you up, and spits you out." In other words, it messes with everything you know to be logical, coherent, and true. APU tells you to rethink everything you have ever been told. You are not the beholder of all truth. In fact, when you think you have found truth, or you think you have "understood it"... that is when you are farthest away from understanding it. (You'll have to excuse me, I switched from speaking as John Wallace and I am now moving on to my own rants). Especially when it comes to God or the Bible, YOU DONT KNOW, but seek after the answers with every inch of your body, mind, and soul and that will be the fulfilled life. That is what experience has told me thus far. God will direct you. Be willing to listen. And listen to whole store. And not respond. And then walk away and chew on it until you respond 1,2,3 days later to begin the discussion. Ask questions. Then sit back. Argue against yourself. Try defending the other person.

I hope, with every ounce of me, that I never forget this process. That I never get to a place of thinking I understand it. That new revelations continue to greet me.

Its a humbling process, it hurts. In fact, its very frustrating and sucks alot at times. It is not safe, it is not a "content" experience.

Ok, read this, chew, react, respond.

Then if you feel bold, read Exclusion and Embrace by Miraslav Volf.

3 comments:

  1. i love the comment about exclusion and embrace at the end.. that is the best..


    mostly that book will rock your world

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know. I really need to reread that. Its been a couple years!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good stuff, Caitlin. I'm so glad you ended up at APU. Imagine...teaching a student to think for herself! It's radical. You are wise. I'd love to have a discussion about "The Shack" with you soon.

    ReplyDelete

I am currently reading...

  • "It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It" by Craig Groeschel
  • "90 Minutes in Heaven"
  • "The Old Man and the Sea"