Thursday, March 5

sleeping flowers

Yesterday, I was walking to my car (which is parked pretty far away because I have relinquished my rights to our parking passes for cheaper rent) when I looked to the flower beds and realized that the beautiful yellow blossoms near my regular parking spot had died--no, they had fallen asleep. It was the weirdest situation. The blossom which had just yesterday (I thought) been fully alive, were now completely closed and rather droopy. I spent a good 15 minutes reminiscing on these flowers... and finally realized. They are sleeping flowers. Yes, of course they have a more technical name, but since I dont' know what it is, I think my choice of name best suits them. Again, today I parked my car and began walking to my apartment when i realized the flowers were fully alive again. I felt cuckoo. As it turns out, these flowers wake up whenever the sun comes out. When we have a rainy day, they go back to sleep... I am yet to see the whole process of their "waking up" but hopefully, if I can find a friend to join, I will be able to camp out near them one morning as the sun rises and watch them arise from their slumber. Just like on those slow-motion videos I watched back in Physics class in high school. The drop of water, breaking glass, opening flower, etc.

What a treat.

2 comments:

I am currently reading...

  • "It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It" by Craig Groeschel
  • "90 Minutes in Heaven"
  • "The Old Man and the Sea"