Friday, May 22

When it goes too far

The dialogue of reimaging church is exciting to me as I've said. However, it leads to extremism. I always get nervous when this comes about.


...didn't "postmodernism" spring up as an extreme, a rebellion against the extremist modernity movement? A movement of absolutism, but instead of balancing it out, has been met with a postmodernity relativism? My favorite conversation involves finding a balance in these two.

As annoyed as I was at APU for trying to instill the "Wesleyan Quadrilaterial" into my stream of thought, I appreciate it these days. To understand a balance of Scripture-Tradition-Reason-Experience is invaluable, and necessary for an objective evalution of process.

To throw away the years of thought that have gone into the evoluation of church could be devastating. However, I do understand that we need to consider how humanity and habit have distorted the authentic community that God desires for us.

What I am trying to say is that I get nervous when the organized church is abandoned altogether. Conversely, I get extremely nervous when some are so caught up in their organized church that they can't see outside of/imagine Christian community outside of their church campus.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am currently reading...

  • "It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It" by Craig Groeschel
  • "90 Minutes in Heaven"
  • "The Old Man and the Sea"