Tuesday, August 25

Do you want retirement?

"why is my life more valuable than this baby's? Someone asked me recently why I don't save money for emergencies, or retirement. My answer was how can I justify saving for myself "just in case" something happens to me when something IS happening to so many already. 29,000 kids will die today of preventable causes. If I'm to love my neighbor AS myself, why spend so much time worrying about me?"
Posted by Francis Chan at www.francischansblog.blogspot.com

What do you think? Are we all fooling ourselves by placing importance in our savings accounts or our retirement funds?

3 comments:

  1. Uh no we are not. And I don't think that those savings are purely for us. They are also the securities of our future children and future spouse. I dont argue the fact that others need our money, but it is equally important to save money for the "unknown" Not only for us, but for those dear to us that may come in the future.

    P.S. randomly saw your blog when posting on your FB wall. Thought I'd check it out.

    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment, Matt. :-)

    Its a tough subject for me. Because why do my kids deserve security?

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can chalk this up to your Mom talking, but I do believe that we have a responsibility to ourselves and others to have balance. It's important to be ready to give when God brings a need into our lives, but it's equally important to be wise with your money and save some. Besides, if you don't save, you won't have money to give.

    I watched two grandparents barely get by, trying to work late in life while their bodies protested. Family helped out some, but they had their own families to support. Grandma was wiped out paying for her sick husband's care. Grandpa didn't save. I don't want my kids to spend their money to support me.

    We saved to pay for our kids education. We're still paying, but we believe in giving our kids the best start in life we can.

    Saving also teaches us to be disciplined, and the rewards are freedom to make choices with our lives. No savings = no choices.

    Love,
    Mom (Terri)

    ReplyDelete

I am currently reading...

  • "It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It" by Craig Groeschel
  • "90 Minutes in Heaven"
  • "The Old Man and the Sea"