Sunday, September 13

The Lab vs the Lecture Hall

I was just listening to a Francis Chan podcast, and for those of you that haven't heard of him, you really should listen to a few sermons. One of the most exortational preachers I have ever heard, so inspiring. Inspiring in the kind of way that I tell others about what I've learned, and that it actually causes change in my life, and the desire to teach others as well.

Anyways...

I was just listening to his podcast (and paused it to write this), and he just used a profound metaphor. Remember back in HS or College when you had to attend a lecture hall? One of those rooms of hundreds of kids where you just sit and listen to the professor.... and hopefully learn something? Then you have the labs, where you go in, there are just a few students, and you are immediately putting to use the information you just received. It is practical, you are applying it, testing it to be true. What is your church experience? Are you just attending a lecture hall every week or are you attending your lab as well?

I was just thinking about the Acts 2 Communities we have at Genesis and how easily they represent the lab. We are going to be launching new communities throughout the county (about 10 total) in a couple weeks, and I am excited to actively be involved in a "lab opportunity" where I practice and test out whatever I am learning in church each week.

1 comment:

  1. Application, application, application! There's no point in learning, if we don't apply it. Easy to read, harder to do. It's a life-long process.

    Good blog, Caitlin. You make me proud.

    ReplyDelete

I am currently reading...

  • "It: How Churches and Leaders Can Get It and Keep It" by Craig Groeschel
  • "90 Minutes in Heaven"
  • "The Old Man and the Sea"